Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Homework Catastrophe (Or Not)

Since the dawn of First Grade, Anastasia has received a homework score of 100 on every single assignment.
And then yesterday....tragedy stuck.

"I got a 90," she said to me when I picked her up from school. "No worries, let's look at it and see what we can do better next time.," I told her. "Well, it's dad's fault." (Say what?!?!?!) "I wanted to staple my homework and he told me it would be fine. One of the pages got lost and I got a 90." There was real emphasis on the word 90. I know 90 is no big deal, but for a kid who has gotten 100's on every single homework assignment since last summer....a 90 sort of rocked her world.

Jamie spoke to Mrs. Y today and she quickly explained. Apparently she had begun grading some of the sheets (the one Anastasia was said to be missing) without the student teacher's knowledge. When the student teacher finished grading she brought it to the attention of Mrs. Y that a lot of the kids had forgotten to turn in that sheet. It was at this point the mistake was realized. So all is right with the world and the 90 (a 90, mom) is gone with the wind. Fortunately for Jamie, it was all a misunderstanding because I am pretty sure Anastasia would never have let him live this down.

No comments: