Sunday, April 3, 2011

Snot Rockets, A Bumblebee, and Vaseline Angels

(This post is alternately titled Knoxville Marathon Pt. 2)

So after a night of not sleeping well and wrestling with the Doubt Demon, I popped out of bed at 6 a.m. I ate my traditional pre-race meal and had some quiet down time before we left. We stayed with Anna last night so it took less than 10 minutes for Jamie and Allie to drop me off at the start line. Allie kept saying, "Mommy run." I cut it kinda close to start time as I decided to make a pit stop. I ran into my high school chemistry teacher, Ms. T, and we chatted while in line. I was literally in the Porta Potty for the National Anthem. I jumped out and lined up just as the gun went off. Here are some interesting things that happened along the way....

Mile 2-Almost stepped on a dead bird. I was thankful I missed it but sort of felt that was a bad omen.

Mile 4-Almost got hit by a snot rocket. I feel this needs no explanation.

Mile 6.something-Passed good family friend David and wife Carol who were volunteering. It is SO good to see faces you know along the course. SO. Good. Took first packet of Gu.

Mile 7-8-Home of the brutal hill known as Noelton. We had plenty of cowbell and trudged our way to the top. Whew!

Mile 9-Ran into a co-worker who was participating in his leg of the Marathon Relay. I wasn't expecting a big "Hey C-Lamar!" so that was a nice boost. I shed my top layer during this mile as well.

Mile 10-Passed three teachers (Coordinated School Health ladies) who I got to know during my time at Blount Memorial. They cheered me on and offered water and PowerAde. Up until this point I had been running with the 4:00 (9:00 mile) pace group, but they left me in the dust. Took 2nd packet of Gu.

Mile 11-Another brutal set of hills as we came up Cumberland Ave. and then turned up towards Children's Hospital. At this point I am cursing myself and swearing never to run Knoxville ever again. Seriously consider switching to the half marathon.

Mile 12.5-We split off from the 1/2 marathoners. Immediately....I am alone. The courses gets quiet and I sort of freak out a bit.

Mile 13.1-The clock reads just over two hours so I realize that if I hang on for dear life a new PR is in the works. We run down Broadway. I get hooted at by the homeless folk under the bridge. I thank every police officer I pass for the next 13 miles.

Miles 14-15-We run through the historic 4th and Gill Neighborhood. We are greeted by chalk drawings (Hopscotch anyone?), cute kids and a woman beating this cool drum! Took 3rd packet of Gu.

Mile 16-I missed this mile marker somehow and freaked out. Couldn't figure out why I wasn't reaching mile 16...turns out, I had and I didn't know it.

Mile 17-Um yeah, so this was my lowest race moment. I got passed by a woman. In a bumblee costume. Demoralizing with a capital D!

Mile 18-Still trudging along. Took 4th packet of Gu.

Miles 19-20-We approach lovely the street named "Hill Ave." (This is an aptly named road, by the way.) We crossed over the river on the South Knoxville connector. I can see runners on the roads below and wonder which miles they're on.

Mile 20.3-I see David and Carol again. HUGE boost to my sagging self. HUGE.

Miles 21-24 were pretty fun. We ran in a beautiful neighborhood called Island Home. They were ready for the runners with orange slices, water and plenty of cheers. LOVED this neighborhood. As we came back up towards the downtown area there were two women with a little table and a hand-made sign. They had Vaseline. My Vaseline Angels! I didn't even think about the lack of sanitation when I dipped my fingers into the jar of Vaseline.

Miles 24-25-These were tough miles. We had a nasty uphill stretch just before Gay Street. The bridge was nice and flat though so that helped me. I had some fellow runners offer lots of encouragement. My IT Band was flaring up something awful (probably all those dang hills!) but I alternated walking and running to make it through.

Mile 25-This mile marker was right at the entrance to Market Square. There was music and lots of people cheering. In fact...a table full of my co-workers (enjoying brunch!) shouted at me as I ran by. We crossed back over the start line and had a huge downhill stretch.

Mile 26-I wanted to run the rest of the way to the stadium but a big chunk of it was uphill. I walked for a moment and then took off when I had .2 to go. I saw my pharmacist (See? This really is a small town.) who cheered me on and then I sprinted the rest of the way. When I saw the clock...I let loose.
I crossed in just under four hours and ten minutes.
They announced my name and showed me on the Jumbo Tron. I spotted Jamie and the girls before grabbing my medal and my finisher's hat.

It was a hard race. I fought for each and every minute that I shaved of my previous personal best. Many times I thought to myself, "Well I'll never run Knoxville again." I know that's not true, but it made me feel better at the time. I'm still not sure of my official time since the results aren't posted yet. I took tonight off of work so I've spent the evening recovering and hydrating and hanging out with all my cheerleaders. Hopefully I won't be too sore tomorrow.


No comments: