Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Mantle Makeover

We moved into our home six years ago this summer and while we've made some big changes over the years, there are some spots that look exactly as they did the day we moved in. Last week I looked at the fireplace in our living room with fresh eyes. I realized how old and tired it looked (kinda like me...). A makeover was definitely in order.

I can't show you the before picture. I was so busy getting out with the old and in with the new that I forgot to take a shot before I made the changes. The fireplace itself had gas logs in it, despite not actually having gas to the area. It also had these fern thingys on top of the logs....which you can see in this picture from Christmas.
I was on a mission to update the area and went to several stores before I found what I wanted. I got some cute details...and more importantly....new art. We've never really bought anything for the walls of our home. Most of what's hanging up is hand-me-downs from my parents or grandparents. The new items have made a huge difference and we really love the look and feel of our living room now. Although, the kids are under strict orders not to place their crap belongings on the mantle. I told them there was a force field up there and anything that was placed on the mantle would be directly sucked into the trash can. So far it's working....

I really love the little owl. And he matches the green vase I already had.

The basket holding our blankets was actually made by my great aunt!

No comments: