Wednesday, May 6, 2009

It all started with a box cutter

Yesterday I had a meeting up at the hospital and on my way back to the office I ran over a box cutter. I didn't know anything was wrong until I pulled back into the parking lot at the office and heard a loud hissing noise. When I put my hand next to the tire I could feel the air gushing out. I called AAA and about 8 minutes later the tow truck was in our driveway. I was still in the middle of moving strollers and Princess sleeping bags from the back so he could get to the spare. 
 
He pulled the broken tire off and declared it was able to be repaired despite the ever increasing hissing noise of air escaping. The spare he took from the back of the van was sketchy at best. I swear the tires on Anastasia's bike are bigger! I headed over to Midas and dropped off the offending tire for repair. 

This morning it had started to rain right as the girls and I left for the day. I was driving about 12 miles per hour because I was worried about the rain and the aforementioned sketchy tire. I was approaching an intersection as the light began to change. In order to stop in time I would've had to slam on my brakes which, as my owner's manual indicated, was a BAD idea on a flimsy spare tire (not to mention the rain). Of course that was the exact moment a police car drove by. He pulled me over on the side of the road and I fished out my license and registration. The office stated my offense and I told him about the gimpy tire. He glanced at the spare and seemed unimpressed. He went back to his car to write the ticket. 
 
Meanwhile Ainsley is going "red and blue, red and blue, red and blue, red and blue" as the lights from the cruiser bounced around the inside of the van. I accepted my ticket and then rolled up my window. That's when the tears began. I've got some extra work stress going on today that was really weighing heavily on me so the flat tire and the ticket just sent me over the edge. I got out my Kleenex and tried to dab my eyes. The quote of the day came from my eldest daughter. "It's okay mom, just don't tell your work friends about it. Don't be crying though or they will ask what's wrong." Leave it to her to put me in my place. 

It's just been one of those days. Hopefully tomorrow the sun will come out and I can forget my terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day. 

No comments: