
Last night was our last official night of AYSO soccer for the season. We meet next week, but it's for a pizza party and to pass out the trophies. The weather, for once, was absolutely perfect. Anastasia was excited because she had a larger cheering section than usual last night. My friend Laura came, along with Nana and Granddad. Anna and Chris were kept aprise of the situation with frequent texts and photos from mom. Sadly we were down a player last night so we just had four girls. I warmed them up and in true Ladybug fashion, they complained of how much it was hurting their muscles. I thought after two months of soccer they might be somewhat more limber, but that wasn't the case. We did our typical soccer exercises and I tried to give them more water breaks than usual since it was so warm.
We had been scrimmaging against the same team each Tuesday night, but last night we were pitted against a different team. One where the coach kept telling his players "Defense ladies!" One of my players looked up at me and said "Coach, what's defense?" I told her not to worry about it and keep playing. Motivation wasn't high on my players' lists last night and I really struggled to keep three players in at all times. Anastasia played exceptionally well, if I do say so myself. She scored four goals and had one assist. She was on fire! I've never seen her so motivated or determined to go after the ball. Maybe it was the abscence of the really agressive pixie player on the team we usually face, or maybe she liked having more of a cheering section. Whatever the reason, she did GREAT! We were SO proud of her.
I'm sorry that soccer has come to an end for the season. We were cheated out of a few games because of weather, but it really was a great few weeks. I'm so glad I had the opportunity to coach this time around. It was challenging but I think I learned more than the girls did. It pushed me out of my comfort zone a little and gave me a title I had yet to experience. I am looking forward to handing the girls their trophies next week and congratulating them on a job well done. Hopefully the Tuesday nights we spent together on the soccer field this spring will foster in them a life-long love of activity and fitness.
No comments:
Post a Comment