Anastasia came home from school yesterday with one less tooth. This is her second baby tooth to finally wiggle its way out of her mouth. It was waiting for me in an envelope on the outside of her cubby. "It bleeded a little bit, but then it stopped," she told me. She was pleased to find the tooth fairy had left a dollar under her pillow this morning. Actually, the dollar bill ended up on the floor under her bed which caused some serious trauma until it was located. She has big plans for the dollar once it combines with several others in her piggy bank. I believe I saw visions of a new Littlest Pet Shop dancing in her head. Ainsley seems unaffected by her sibling's teeth falling out and subsequent increase in riches. Money doesn't mean much to Ainsley. As far as she is concerned, mom and dad provide her with everything she could possibly need.
As a parent you're never quite prepared for those questions your kids ask. I have had to tell the girls how the baby will come out, but fortunately not how it got in! Last night as we went for our walk Anastasia asked, "Mom, what's a mutant?" I stared blankly back at her and said "What?" She repeated the question again, this time more slowly as if talking to a slow child who has trouble grasping simple concepts. I fumbled my way through a definition, but it must have satisfied her because she dropped the issue. A short time later, the mutant talk resumed again as she proceeded to give examples. "So if this t-shirt changed into a tiger, then it would be a mutant." "Yes." "And if a frog turned into a t-rex, then it would be a mutant." "Yes." We went on like this for the entire two-plus mile walk. For the record, I've looked up the true definition; "a new type of organism produced as the result of mutation." I think my definition was much better.
This morning I had another OB check-up. I had the first appointment which is always nice. What wasn't nice is that the toilet decided I was the patient to stop flushing for so I had to inform the nurse they needed a plunger....lovely. I got on the scale and was shocked to find someone must have slipped bricks into my pockets while I wasn't looking. There is no way that number was correct. Oh wait, I had two Krispy Kreme donuts and chocolate chip cookies yesterday, I guess that number is right after all. I gained 30 pounds with Anastasia and 40 with Ainsley. At this rate I will gain more than those two weights combined!! The doctor seemed unconcerned about the weight gain though. I pulled out my list of questions and we went over them one by one. He listened to the heartbeat which sounded great and then I was on my way. Next visit is the dreaded glucose test. I hate drinking that nasty stuff and waiting an hour while watching a video on pre-term labor from the Palezoic Era. Shouldn't a third-time mom be exempt from that torture. Anyway, that's the report from 23 weeks. And to those of you wishing for a belly picture, dream on. Those are being printed out every 4 weeks and placed directly in the baby book.
No comments:
Post a Comment