Friday, May 14, 2010

Happy Birthuation!

Today my sister graduates from Vanderbilt with a master's degree. It also happens to be her birthday. Unfortunately for me these celebrations are occuring on a work day and half a state away, so I'm unable to attend. I'm trying not to feel guilty about it because Anna is the one who has been telling me for years to "Get off the guilt train." So even though I won't be there to see her graduate, I hope she knows that I am incredibly proud of her. She's worked hard to get to this moment and deserves all the success she has attained over the years.

And lest she get too big for her britches now that she has achieved a higher level of institutional learning than I have....I will remind her of photos like this one.

I will also remind her that she'll always be my little sister. The one who still holds a grudge against me for breaking her Pilot Ken doll's arm. The one who used to sneak into my room at night so we could talk. The one who can recite Clueless from main title to credits. The one who hated playing Monopoly with me. The one kept me company in the backseat as we explored historic markers, battlefields, and national parks from coast to coast. The one who knows my secrets, faults and weaknesses and loves me anyway.

Congratulations and Happy Birthday!

No comments: