Sunday, May 17, 2009

Let me count the ways

I will openly admit to a love affair with my kids. They amaze me. The astound and confuse me. They frustrate me and make me laugh. But I love them each for different reasons. Sometimes I look at them and it's hard to imagine they come from the same parents. They look as much alike as two kids can look alike and not be twins, but their personalities are so unique and so different it's easy to forget they're related.

I love Anastasia because she is exactly like me, no matter how annoying that may be. She is bossy and impatient. She hates spiders and bees and freaks out when someone doesn't follow the rules. I love her because she comes home with a minimum of 12 sheets of paper every day. 12 sheets that are colored to perfection, but are cluttering up my fridge. I love Anastasia because she snores. I love her because she is kind and compassionate and likes to dip her cookies in milk. I love her because she knows how to bargain and negotiate better than Donald Trump. I love her because she would spend all day watching movies if we let her. I love Anastasia for the way she rides her bike and has bruises all over her knees and shins from playing. I love her because she hates veggies and trying new foods. I love her because she says "paper toilet" instead of "toilet paper." I love Anastasia because she's better than a Post-It note and won't let me forget anything. I love Anastasia for the freckles across the bridge of her nose and the way she flushes when she gets too warm. I love her for everything she will become.

I love Ainsley because she is the kid I always wanted to be. I love her because she eats all the marshmallows out of her bowl of Lucky Charms and always leaves half a glass of milk on the table. I love her because she smells like sweat and sunscreen. I love Ainsley because she takes off her socks at night and hides them under her pillow. I love her because she won't stop sucking her thumb. I love Ainsley because she sneaks dozens of books into her bed long after she should have fallen asleep. I love her because she always eats the fruit on her plate first. I love her because she insists on brushing her teeth first. I love Ainsley because she runs so fast and so hard she is usally missing most of the skin on her knees. I love Ainsley because she is mischievious and forgets to turn off lights and wash her hands. I love her because she wishes every day was Friday so she can participate in show and tell. I love her for climbing in bed with me and proceeding to fall asleep with her arm over my chest. I love Ainsley for never giving up, even when her sister says she's too little. I love her for everything she will become.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Great post! I love it.