Thursday, May 27, 2010

Responsibility on the Road


I try hard to be a responsible runner. I tell someone exactly where I am going and how long I plan to be gone. I also don't wear headphones. This is a big one for me. I used to not be able to run without an iPod (think Sampson and all that hair...same thing) but now I don't like to run with one unless I'm on the treadmill. I need my ears open to listen to my body and to listen to the environment around me, especially if I'm running on the road. In my opinion too many runners are plugged in and tuned out. That makes for a dangerous combination and why most races are outlawing headphone use and will disqualify your finish time if you are caught wearing them.

In addition to the above precautions I wear an ID tag on my shoe. It's a way for me to communicate important information about myself, even if I can't talk. I know it's hard to imagine me NOT talking, but if I was incapacitated it could happen. Jamie's phone number is on the tag as well as my name and blood type. It's a flimsy little plastic tag though and is starting to show some wear and tear. In case anyone is looking for a 30th bithday idea and want to shop early, you can head over to Road ID. It has a way to store all the important information, just in case. Just another way I try to be responsible out there on the road.
(Disclaimer: Those are NOT my legs in that picture!)

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I miss you!! I can't run with an iPod either, but that's because I can't keep the buds in my ears!

PS - Your legs are much sexier.

Stacy said...

I agree that you can't be too safe. Even if you trust yourself you can't always trust others on the road. Plus there are random things, too. A guy was running near my mom's house and was hit by lightening. He didn't have identification on him and it took 12+ hours to locate his wife. He was fine - by the way.

I have a Road ID that John bought me. They are nice. Get one!

PS - Nice legs! ;-)