Saturday, November 7, 2009

City Mouse, Country Mouse

Despite the fact that we live in a "rural county" I have come to the conclusion lately that my children are most decidedly urban. I come to this realization through several avenues. I've been reading a lot of the Pioneer Woman blog lately. It's about a family with four kids who live on a ranch in the midwest. The children participate in the daily chores that go along with life on a working farm/ranch. The kids ride horses, they feed chickens, they know that eggs don't typically come in a styrofoam carton from the store. My kids....not so much.

Today we had a playdate with Tate and Merritt. They have come to our house several times but today we had the pleasure of visiting their home "Sherrer Haven." It should've been named Sherrer Heaven! The view from their home is absolutely beautiful.

See what I mean? Spectacular views!! I would never leave my porch if I had a view like that. The kids had a blast playing together. Dress up clothes were donned and princess shoes could be heard prancing up and down the stairs. My girls fed chickens and held baby chicks. Sometimes when they do cool stuff like that I look at them and wonder how they could possibly be my children. I so didn't do stuff like that as a kid. I was freaked out by bugs and didn't like walking up stairs when I could see through the boards to the ground below. I'm glad my kids are more adventurous than I was. Heck, they're more adventurous than I am now as an adult.

All in all it was a great day for a playdate. The weather was perfect and the kids were (relatively) well-behaved. We ate sandwiches on fresh sourdough bread that Merritt and Tate's mom had made and swapped stories over the lunch table. They sent us home with a loaf of bread and a carton full of fresh farm eggs. Eggs that didn't come from a store.




No comments: