Sunday, November 8, 2009

Runner's guilt

I have a sign on the bulletin board in front of my treadmill. It reads: "If you had gone running when you first started thinking about it, you'd be back by now." It's a great sign, but it only works when I heed its advice. Today was a beautiful day. Warm and sunny, not a cloud in the sky. Jamie was home so I had the opportunity to go for a run on the greenway. I was just too tired. And now I feel guilty. Now I have a headache and can't even muster the energy to hit the treadmill for two measly miles. Runner's guilt gets me every time. It will eat away at me until I finally drag myself out for a run which hopefully will be tomorrow.

Motivation is usually plentiful for me, especially when I put big races on the horizon. In March I'm going to get back into distance running with the Knoxville 1/2 Marathon. Then I'll do the Chickamauga 1/2 Marathon next November. My biggest running goal lies 14 months away in the Sunshine State. I'm going to shell out $300 so I can run a 1/2 marathon and a marathon on back-to-back days. Most people think this kind of torture means I should be admitted to a mental institution. I on the other hand know it will keep me motivated and driven to run even on those days when I don't think I can.

As for now, I have a 5K in two weeks and I need to get some more miles under my belt to get ready. In the meantime I'll just sit here on the couch with my girls and watch some football.

No comments: