Monday, October 3, 2011

Mom's Weekend Adventure

As I mentioned last week, I was fortunate enough to take a quick weekend trip down to the Sunshine State to visit my close friend S. My flight left Knoxville right on time and I arrived in steamy Orlando about 10 minutes early. S met me right outside the terminal and then we set off to the mall. We both love to shop at H&M but they are few and far between (none in TN!) so we knew it was a must-see while in Orlando.

We shopped and then made our way up to Jacksonville. It's such a cool city! She took me to this awesome little hole-in-the-wall place called Trent's. It's over in the Orange Park area and has AMAZING food. I opted for the fried shrimp. I was not disappointed. It was one of those places across the railroad tracks where all the locals eat and your food is served on top of a paper placemat featuring a brightly-colored map of Florida.

On Saturday after I went for a quick run (yes...even on vacation I run...plus it was the first day of the month and I'm a little psychotic about trying to always run on the first of the month....) and then we set out for Ponte Vedra. I was told it is home to Sawgrass, which means something if you know anything about golf. And if you don't know anything about golf, just know it is home to beautiful beaches.

We stopped to grab sandwiches and then went to the beach. S has lived there just long enough to know where all the good spots are. It was a beautiful day. A little windy, but not a cloud in the sky.

We sat there for hours. It. Was. Wonderful. We attempted to swim and as I later concluded, we'll never be surfers. The current was strong and what felt like swimming 100 yards up the beach, actually just left us right in front of our chairs as if we'd never taken a single stroke. The water was warm despite the breeze. After shaking the sand off our beach chairs we cleaned up and headed out for dinner. S found a spot in the middle of nowhere (technically in Mayport....) that served up seafood on styrofoam plates with plastic utensils. Sketchy you say? Perhaps, but consider that by eschewing traditional serving pieces and actual dishes, the folks at Singleton's Seafood Shack are able to put all their efforts into the most important thing. The food. I (again) ordered fried shrimp and hushpuppies. And you know how we knew it was gonna be good food?

Yup, that's one of the boats...docked AT the restaurant. That's what I call fresh! We sat outside and watched the sunset while we enjoyed our meal. After we ate she drove me into town for a tour of her new place of employment and a brief look around downtown, including the statue of Andrew Jackson (for whom the town is named....). I obviously knew he was a president from Tennessee, but apparently he was the first military governor of the Florida territory and thus...namesake for the city.

I had to fly home this morning and after a frenzied trip through the Orlando Airport I made it to my gate. I was sad to leave S behind, but it was so nice to have her all to myself for 48 hours. It was good to reconnect and see that she is doing so well in her new home. Jamie and the girls met me at the airport and I arrived home to a clean house. After hearing all their fun activities...I'm not even sure I was missed!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Come back anytime!