Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Mystery of the Marathon

I've always thought the legend of the very first "Marathon" made for a great story. Pheidippides was the Greek who, according to the legend, ran 26 miles to Sparta and announced victory in the battle of Marathon and then proceeded to drop dead. My favorite Pheidippides association came during my first marathon. We were running around mile 18 or so when I spotted a handmade sign along the course. It was one of many to encourage runners and stood next to ones like, "Run faster. I hear banjos." This sign said, "Why couldn't Pheidippides have died at mile 20?" I've also seen one wishing the legendary Greek had been equipped with a cell phone.

Today on one of my favorite blogs, Pheidippides writes his very own account of that first marathon. It is priceless and gave me quite a good laugh. Enjoy it here.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I tried to comment on this a couple of days ago, but couldn't for some reason. Anyway - HILARIOUS!! I loved it. Thanks for the link!