Monday, September 20, 2010

A New Era

Today I left the house a few pounds lighter. For the first time since January, I left for work with only my children, my purse and my lunch tote. No bottles for Allie and (more importantly) no breast pump! It made the morning routine a breeze and consequently I actually remembered little things like deodorant and jewelry. It is a huge relief to not plan my entire day around pumping sessions.

In the early days of 2010, when I had just returned from maternity leave, I couldn't stand the thought of pumping for so long. Now it has come and gone in the blink of an eye. Allie is still breastfeeding in the morning and at night before bed, but she's on milk in sippy cups during the day. True to her adaptable nature, she had no trouble transitioning to a cup.

I know it sounds stupid but I am really proud of myself for sticking with breastfeeding for so long. Not that formula is evil, but I am glad never had to use an ounce of it. I'm proud for how much money that saved our family. It was an enormous amount of work on my part, but I am so glad I put forth the extra effort. That being said, I'm sure glad my pumping days are over! I'm actually considering burning a few of my nursing bras. I have two that are so old and worn that no one else could use them anyway. They're the ones I've slept in every night since Allie was born last September. I really want to burn them but my sister says the EPA frowns upon that sort of thing. I guess a formal retirement ceremony as they are hoisted into the trash can will have to do.

No comments: