Thursday, September 16, 2010

Notes From the Road: Training Update #1


I have an official marathon training plan hanging on my fridge and on the back of my office door. It's really more of a guideline for mileage and I've already had to deviate from said plan and it's only Week Two. My plan comes from Hal Higdon, who has written numerous marathon books/guides and has a great web resource for runners.

My previous marathons have been based on a training plan that worked for me and me alone. Squeezing in runs during the week is just plain tough. On Tuesday I grabbed three quick miles during my lunch break, just trying to fit it in where I can. I really have to work to get those miles Monday-Friday. My main focus is to stay fit, eat well and stick to those long runs on the weekend. Last Sunday my first "long run" was eight miles. I chose the Greenway and I wasn't disappointed. The leaves are starting to turn crunchy underfoot and there were plenty of folks out sharing in the beautiful day. I would go so far as to say it was an easy run. My IT band felt great and I stayed properly hydrated thanks to my fuel belt.

It's been fun to embark on yet another marathon journey. I always tell people that running the marathon is the easy part. It's the 18 weeks+ of training on the front end that is hard. Once you get to the race, it's all downhill to the finish.

1 comment:

MB said...

Good luck with the training. I used Hal Higdon for my half traning and it worked out great. I wish I loved running like you do because I sure do love race day. It's just the trainging I hate. And I don't love race day more than I love training LOL. Luckily my boss is a runner and has already been in one race that went past my apartment building, so I was able to cheer him on. Which in my mind is almost as good!