Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday


The girls and I ventured out in the dreadful weather this morning to attend the noon Ash Wednesday service at church. Our wonderful, amazing Children's Ministry Director was able to get a nursery staffed for the hour which I truly appreciated. I love Allie to pieces, but an hour-long Ash Wednesday service isn't really her cup of tea at this point. She happily waved good-bye to us and busied herself with the dolls in their strollers as we left.

Anastasia and Ainsley were tickled pink to see that there was more than half a pew available on the front row of the sanctuary. "We never get to sit in the front!" they exclaimed. I wanted to point out we were Methodists and that's why we never sit on the front row, but the service was about to begin. It was a wonderful hour and exactly what I needed this week. I'm always amazed at the weight of the ashes as they are placed on my forehead.

There was a special time for children (mine were the only two there) where they boxed up the "Alleluias" in a shiny gold box. Our pastor assisted the girls in grabbing the alleluias as the congregation said them. The box will be displayed in the sanctuary until Easter when the children will open it and release them.

Anastasia and Ainsley were very good during the service. It lasted an hour and meant our lunch was delayed until 1:30 p.m. I know they don't fully understand what happened today, but the two little voices next to me repeating the Lord's Prayer will one day grasp the meaning of "Dust you are and to dust you shall return" and I take great comfort in that.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I always thought sitting in the front was punishment for showing up late. That's how it seems to work in Lutheran churches, at least. :)