Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Running Update

With two marathons under my belt for 2011, many people ask me what's next. Right now, nothing. I'm just trying to squeeze in as many miles as I can. Many days it's tough to get in even two miles on the treadmill. On the weekends I try to get 8-10 miles in but that's not always possible.

Last weekend I had the opportunity to volunteer at a local 5K. I've run plenty of races and the track club motto is "Run three, work one" so it was high time I pitched in. It was fun being on that side of things for a change.

The race was in a beautiful neighborhood and the weather couldn't have been better. One of my friends, who is battling cancer, ran the race in a ridiculous amount of time. She even won her age division! My volunteering allowed me to be at the finish line when she crossed. It was quite an emotional moment as she crossed the finish line. This amazing woman...who had a chemo treatment less than 24 hours before....powered through her pain and her illness to finish the race. She's long been my running hero and Saturday just reminded me of what a great role model she really is. She has encouraged me over the years as I began distance running and has always had my back. Well...I guess technically I have *her* back since I am always behind her!

But to answer the question....I have a few smaller races on the horizon and then in the late summer I will begin training for Disney 2012. I plan to run for Inheritance of Hope again, although not the Goofy Challenge. I think I'll stick to the plain 'ol marathon this time around.

No comments: