Friday, July 8, 2011

Je t'aime

From the moment I devoured Outlander in the summer of 1999, I have longed to go to Scotland. It's a desire Jamie and I have always shared. It's the reason Ainsley is named...Ainsley. We had hoped to go there for our 10th anniversary. But the reality is, we have three small children and limited funds so Scotland was pushed to the background. It hovers across the pond, waiting for us with its heather-covered highlands and ancient stone cottages and churches. They've stood for hundreds upon hundreds of years so I suppose waiting 10 more or so isn't going to do any harm.

And while my love affair with Scotland has been long-running, lately I've found another city climbing to the top of my "One Day..." list.

Paris.

Pining for the City of Lights always seemed to be a travel cliche. Of course everyone should want to visit. I guess that's why the Scottish highlands held more appeal. They are the road less traveled. But then I read Ernest Hemingway's A Moveable Feast. It was a side of Paris I had never considered. It wasn't baguettes, berets and the Eiffel Tower. It was vibrant and alive, a character in and of itself.

"If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast."-Ernest Hemingway

Hopefully one day I can sit at the table and partake in all that Paris has to offer.

No comments: